I love leeks. I love the creamy texture, the warming flavour and the smell of cooked leeks. When making this tart I wanted it to be all of the above; creamy, warming and smelling like heaven. And this is exactly what it is.
This tart is very easy to make, all you need to remember is to soak the cashews a few hours before and it will all go well. I used my favourite crust recipe here; it’s light and crunchy and goes so well with the filling. And the filling… oh guys! It’s one of those where nobody believes it’s vegan because of how super creamy and cheesy it tastes.
For the crust:
- 160g oat flour (you can simply make it by blending oat flakes in a food processor or high-speed blender)
- 100g ground almonds
- 70g coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
For the filling:
- 200g cashews soaked for at least 4 hours
- water from 1 400g tin chickpeas
- 4 tbsp. yeast flakes
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. almond milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 big or 3 small leeks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lay a bottom of a round 9-inch cake tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- To make the base put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until dough forms, it should have the consistency of wet sand.
- Place the dough in the prepared tin and using your hands mould it to the bottom and to the sides so that they are around 2 inches tall. Spike the dough with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is baking make the filling. In a food processor or high-speed blender place drained cashews, chickpea water, oil, almond milk, yeast flakes, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Slice the leeks into thin slices and set aside.
- Take the base out of the oven and put ½ of the sauce on the bottom, top that with ½ of the leeks, then again with the rest of the sauce and finish with the remaining leeks. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 50-55 min until golden.
- Take out of the oven and serve right away with a leafy salad or other side of your choice. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.