This is a perfect summer cake.
It looks beautiful; vibrant orange colour, shiny on the top and crumbly in the middle, served with pomegranate seeds, coconut cream and fresh mint leaves. But it is the taste and the consistency that really hooks you. It is so soft, creamy and buttery but at the same time zingy and refreshing!
You just have to try this cake 100% plant-based, 100% cruelty-free and 100% delicious!
- 2 flax eggs (here is how to make a flax egg)
- 6 tbsp margarine (I used Flora Buttery Spread)
- 6 tbsp sunflower/coconut/rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp smooth almond butter (I use Meridian)
- 10 tbsp demarera sugar/coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup polenta
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- Preheat the oven to 180 dergees. Grease a 20cm round tin and put baking paper on the bottom.
- In a saucepan melt the margarine, oil and almond butter and add sugar. Stir gently until the sugar has almost completely dissolved.
- In a bowl mix corn flour, polenta and self raising flour.
- Add flax eggs and the oil + sugar mixture.
- Add orange zest and juice and mix until smooth.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30-40 min, until the top is golden and a wooden stick comes out dry.
- Take out of the oven and chill for 10-15 min.
- Serve warm with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and pomegarante seeds.