Aubergine has always been in my top 3 veggies and it’s all because of its incredible texture. I love how fleshy, succulent and tender it becomes after cooking. This is why dishes with added aubergine are so good but those with aubergine playing the main part are even better!
This dish is super healthy, packed with nutrients, high in protein and fibre and low in fat. The recipe is really easy and most of the time you don’t even have to be in the kitchen, the whole thing just makes itself in the oven.
The addition of smoked paprika and smoked tofu gives the aubergines a great barbecue-like flavour, but if you’re not a fan of smoky stuff, just swap it for regular paprika and normal tofu.
Ingredients (serves 3):
- 3 medium aubergines
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ block/100g smoked tofu (I use Clearspot Organic Smoked Tofu)
- 200g cooked brown/green lentils
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp oregano
- 1tsp coconut oil
- olive oil
- handful of fresh spinach
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Cut the aubergines in halves lengthways and score the flesh in a criss-cross pattern. Make sure you cut quite deep into the flesh but be careful not to cut through the skin. Put some salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil on top and place them on a baking tray. Put the tray in the oven and bake until the flesh is soft (approx. 30-40min).
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion. Stir for about 3 min and add chopped pepper. Stir for another 3 min.
- Add tin tomatoes, garlic, lentils and all the spices. Stir for 5 min and crumble the tofu into the pan. Stir for another 10 minutes, the sauce should reduce a little bit.
- Taste the sauce and add more spices if needed. Otherwise, add the spinach and stir for 3 more minutes and then take off the heat. The sauce should be quite thick.
- When ready, take the aubergines out of the oven and scoop the sauce covering all of the aubergine flesh. Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Take out of the oven and serve with fresh coriander, chopped tomatoes and a mixed leaf salad.