These roasted veggies are a perfect winter warmer. I make them every time I fancy some comforting and healthy food. They are slightly spicy and exotic. I love them as much sizzling hot straight from the oven as cold from the fridge the next day. You can have them either as a side dish or a main player.
Below I am listing all the veggies I used today, but honestly you can add, remove, swap, whatever you fancy, all will go great!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 new baby potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 medium broccoli head
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 tbsp olive/sunflower oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- pinch of chilli flakes (or more if you like it hot)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Pour cold water into a large pot and put on medium heat.
- Peel sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips and chop them in 3 or 4 smaller pieces, depending on the size.
- Wash baby potatoes and broccoli, chop broccoli into smaller pieces.
- Put the washed and chopped veggies into the pot (it doesn’t matter whether the water is boiling yet or not).
- Bring to boil if the water is not boiling yet.
- Boil for about 10-15 minutes. You don’t want the veggies to be completely cooked.
- While the veggies boil, cut the onion into thin slices.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing water with oil and all the spices.
- When ready, drain the water from the veggies and pour the sauce into the pot.
- Add the chopped onion and frozen peas.
- Put the lid on top of the pot and shake vigorously to make sure all the veggies are covered in the sauce.
- Put the veggies on a roasting tray and bake them for 20-25 min until nice and golden. By this time they should all be completely cooked and soft.
- Take them out of the oven and enjoy as a starter, side dish or main course.