It’s spring so it’s BBQ season and BBQ season is potato salad time, right? Now, how about a healthy vegan potato salad? Or even better, how about a healthy vegan sweet potato salad with green peas, cumin and mint? Mhmmmmm.
Guys, this recipe is super simple and the whole thing is ready in under an hour (that includes waiting for the potatoes to cool!). The potatoes are steamed, there’s no weird, unhealthy ingredients, it’s all just beautiful carbs and protein that will make you glow and keep you energised!
I added peas, cumin and mint to make the flavour more interesting and refreshing but feel free to skip or swap that for whatever you think will work, maybe come fresh coriander or freshly chopped chilli?
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- 1 red onion
- 4-5 spring onions
- fresh mint (optional)
- ground cumin
- 2 tins cooked butter beans
- 2 heaped tablespoons wholegrain mustard (or more if preferable)
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 50ml vegetable/oil oil
- 50ml water
- salt and pepper (use Kala Namak salt if you have it)
- Take the peas out of the freezer, cover them with water and leave aside to defrost.
- Fill the bottom of a steamer with water and bring to boil.
- While the water is heating peel and wash the potatoes, then cut them into 1-2 inch cubes.
- When the water starts boiling, place the potatoes on the tiers of the steamer and cover with a lid. Steam for 7-9 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce, place the butter beans, mustard, vinegar, oil and water in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- When ready, set the potatoes aside to cool for about 30 min. Then place them in a large mixing bowl, add drained peas, finely chopped onions, fresh chopped mint (optional), a sprinkle of ground cumin and the bean sauce you made before. Using a spatula, mix everything thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
2 Comments Add yours
Sounds pretty yummy
Thanks! It indeed is super yummy and super easy! X
LikeLiked by 1 person