I love rich and hearty pasta sauces with chunky veg and loads of herbs. I like adding hummus to sauces because it makes them extra sticky and ensures that all of your pasta is covered with the sauce.
There is just something so beautiful and warming about a bowl of pasta and a glass of wine after a long day. This recipe makes up a perfect mid-week dinner. It’s super easy to make, requires minimum preparation time and it’s just so delicious.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 400g your favourite pasta
- 2 medium aubergines
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 15-20 black olives
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 handful parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chilli
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. hummus
- 100ml almond milk
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan heat 3 tbsp. olive oil. Cut the aubergines into 1inch cubes and put them in the pan, season with salt and cook for 5-7 min until soft stirring occasionally. Add garlic, chilli and tin tomatoes and cook for 5 min.
- In the meantime start cooking the pasta according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Add olives, oregano, maple syrup and almond milk to the saucepan, mix thoroughly and cook for 3 min stirring occasionally. Add spinach and hummus, mix and cook for 3 more minutes. Add chopped parsley and cherry tomatoes, mix and turn the heat off. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked, drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce. Serve drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with chopped parsley or basil leaves.