I absolutely love figs and now is the best time to eat them fresh, so I try to use them as much as I can. This salad is such a delicious way to healthy and nutritious lunch or dinner. It has a lovely combination of sweet figs, peppery rocket and crunchy pecans. It’s easy to prepare and I am sure you are going to love the flavours!
- 3-4 fresh figs
- 1 courgette
- 2 hadfuls rocket
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp French mustard
- juice squeezed from 1 lemon
- 1 handful pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- olive oil
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the packaging and set aside to cool.
- Shave the courgette into thin slices. In a grilling pan heat 1 tbsp olive oil, then place one layer of the cougette strips and grill for 1 min, then turn and grill for another minute. Repeat until you have grilled all the strips. Set aside; do not remove the pan from the heat.
- Cut the figs in halves and then cut each half in 3 pieces. Put on the grilling pan and grill for 2 min, set aside.
- Make the dressing by mixing 3 tbsp hummus with mustard, lemon juice and 1 tbsp maple syrup. Mix the dressing with the quinoa and set aside.
- Put a small pan on medium heat (do not use oil) and place the pecans in the pan, add a pinch of salt and grill for 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat and add 1 tbsp maple syrup, then shake the pan to make sure all nuts are covered with the syrup and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, put the dressed quinoa, onions, rocket and cougette strips and mix gently with your hands. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the salad on a plate and arrange the figs on top, then sprinkle the pecans on top.