I absolutely adore apple crumble! It’s such an easy dessert and you can’t go wrong with it.
It’s perfect for any given occasion, everybody loves it and it only requires simple, cheap ingredients and minimum preparation time.
What is more, it’s also one of the healthiest desserts I can think of, so really it’s a win-win in all aspects!
I love this slightly boozy version of the crumble. Every excuse is good to have a little glass of bubbly with dessert, right? You can choose what wine to use, I prefer cava or rose sparkling and it has to be dry! But you’re more than welcome to use Prosecco or sweet wine like Asti, or even Champagne if you’re super posh!
- 1kg Bramley apples (6-7 apples), peeled, cored and chopped finely
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200ml sparkling wine, like Prosecco or Cava (or Champagne if you’re super posh)
- 80g porridge oats
- 130g flour
- 100g brown sugar
- 5 tbsl coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the apples into a pan and cook over a low heat for 3 minutes, then add half of the wine and all of the cinnamon, stir and continue cooking for 3 more minutes, then add the rest of the wine, and cook for 5 more minutes stirring continuously, then take off the heat.
- Prepare the topping by heating the coconut oil until it turns into liquid. In a bowl mix oats, flour, sugar and salt. Add coconut oil to the bowl and mix until it resembles a crumb texture.
- Put the apples into a baking dish and cover with an even layer of the crumb.
- Bake for 20-25 min, or until golden.
- Serve with vegan ice cream (I used Swedish Glace