It’s definitely one of my ever-favourite things to drink alongside dessert, or pour over ice cream, or add to cakes. Classic Baileys is not vegan (although they have launched a plant-based version now) and it’s quite heavy. So the recipe I’m offering you today is much lighter yet still just as creamy and delicious as the original thing. It comes together in minutes and you can enjoy it almost right away (just wait till it cools down a bit).
It’s a great thing to make if you’re having a dinner party and want to impress your guests with homemade liqueur or you can simply offer it to someone as a present in a nicely wrapped bottle. Anyway, I think you guys are going to love this recipe!
Ingredients (makes aprox. 700ml):
- 1 400ml tin of full fat coconut milk
- 200ml unsweetened cashew milk (I used Rude Health because of how rich and creamy it is)
- 60g brown sugar
- double espresso (or 60 ml very strong coffee)
- 150ml Irish Whiskey (I used Jameson; you can use less or more depending on how strong you want your liqueur to be)
- a pinch of salt
- In a large saucepan whisk coconut milk with cashew milk and sugar, put on medium heat and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 min stirring frequently.
- Take off the heat, mix with coffee and whisky, add a pinch of salt and pour into a glass bottle or seal in glass jars. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Serve chilled over ice or mix with coffee or desserts to enhance the flavour.